Monday, February 15, 2010

A is for....Almost Accident

My first post, starting with the letter A, is about an Almost Accident that I witnessed/was 2 seconds away from being a part of...or many parts of, depending on how you look at it. I was driving down to see my boyfriend on Friday, and we'd had an unusual amount of snow here. By the mid-afternoon, most of the snow on roads had melted, but it left the roads very, very wet, almost worse than a steady rain. Just south of downtown, a guy races up behind me doing probably 80...I'm doing 60, as is the car next to me, side-by-side. This maniac pulls in between us and I'm not sure if he was thinking he could actually get between us in between the lanes but he sure tried! A few seconds later, I see him pull all the way to the open right lane and I thought to myself "Well, at least he can get out of here now." Not a handful of seconds later, I see the same vehicle slide across sideways all three lanes of traffic, right in front of me, hit the snow embankment and the guardrail right next to me and drop debris on his way. Calm panic and a few anti-lock brake activations later, I'm in the clear...but it brought to mind what my dad always said..."Drive like hell and you'll get there faster."

1 comment:

  1. Astute observation kept you safe. I'm so very glad that you weren't in an accident!

    ReplyDelete